Dr Matthieu Gatineau small animal surgeon. Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation
Dr Gatineau graduated from the Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Toulouse (France) in 2006. He then successfully completed a general internship in small animal at the University of Montreal Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (IPSAV) in 2007. He completed an internship in surgery
at the DMV Centres from 2007 to 2008 and then directly began an AVCS-ECVS (American College of Veterinary Surgeons and European College of Veterinary Surgeons) residency program and a Master of Clinical Sciences in surgery at the University of Montreal on biomaterials and surface analysis of orthopedic implants, trainings he completed with success in 2011. Dr Gatineau is an active Diplomate of the ACVS and the ECVS. Dr Gatineau successfully passed his board certification examination of the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation in 2013 and he is to date the only surgeon Diplomate ACVSMR in Quebec. The American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation advances the art and science of veterinary medicine by promoting expertise in the structural, physiological, medical and surgical needs of athletic animals and the restoration of normal form and function after injury or illness.
Expertise on surgical procedures
Dr Gatineau has the expertise to perform orthopaedic surgery (TPLO the most frequent surgical procedure performed by Dr Gatineau, arthroscopy, Total Hip Replacement, fractures, TPO, SHO, angular deformity correction…), neurosurgery and soft tissue surgery (oncologic, cardiac, pulmonary, endocrine, digestive and urinary). Dr Gatineau also developed a particular expertise in minimally invasive surgery (Laparoscopy and Thoracoscopy) to improve the postoperative comfort of his patients and to allow them a faster recovery. He is one of the rare specialist surgeon in Quebec to perform advanced minimally invasive surgeries using a camera like cholecystectomy, adrenalectomy, lung lobectomy, splenectomy, gastropexy… He is working in close collaboration with our anesthesiologist
and physiotherapist in rehabilitation
in order to ensure a complete restoration of normal function after injury and to recover an athletic function when indicated.
Dr Matthieu Gatineau's Publications
Dr Gatineau is the author of numerous scientific publications in the international veterinary literature dealing especially on hip dysplasia and TPLO surgery, frequent causes of his consultations at DMV Centres. He is also reviewer for international veterinary journals and actively involved in research projects in veterinary surgery. He regularly gives continuing education in Quebec to veterinarians, technicians, lectures to students at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Montreal University and he has also lectured in Europe and Canada. He is training surgical interns, general interns, students and a surgical resident at DMV Centres every year. Dr Gatineau joined the surgical staff of the DMV Centres where he practices full time consultation and surgery from Tuesday to Saturday at DMV-Montreal.
- Gatineau M – Total hip replacement in Dogs BFX – BioMedtrix : Retrospective study on 30 cases (April 2020-April 2021) - Traitement de la dysplasie de la hanche chez le Chien - Le Rapporteur, 2021[In French ]
- Larose PC, Singh A, Giuffrida MA, Hayes G, Moyer JF, Grimes JA, Runge J, Curcillo C, Thomson CB, Mayhew PD, Bernstein R, Dominic C, Mankin KT, Regier P, Case JB, Arai S, Gatineau M, Liptak JM, Bruce C. Clinical findings and outcomes of 153 dogs surgically treated for intestinal intussusceptions.
Vet Surg. 2020 Jul;49(5):870-878.
- Percival A, Singh A, Gartley C, Balsa I, Case JB, Mayhew PD, Oblak M, Brisson BA, Runge JJ, Valverde A, Alex Zur Linden R, Gatineau M Single-Port Laparoscopic Treatment and Outcome of Dogs with Ovarian Remnant Syndrome: 13 Cases (2010-2018). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2020 Mar/Apr;56(2):114-119.
- Morgan KRS, Singh A, Giuffrida MA, Balsa IM, Hayes G, Chu ML, Thomson CB, Arai S, Smeak DD, Monnet E, Selmic LE, Cray M, Grimes JA, Morris T, Case JB, Biskup JJ, Haas J, Thieman-Mankin K, Milovancev M, Gatineau M Outcome after surgical and conservative treatments of canine peritoneopericardial diaphragmatic hernia: A multi-institutional study of 128 dogs. Vet Surg. 2020 Jan;49(1):138-145.
- Lorange M, De Arburn Parent R, Huneault L, Gatineau M, Auger J, Liptak JM - « Use of a vessel-sealing device versus conventional hemostatic techniques in dogs undergoing thyroidectomy because of suspected thyroid carcinoma » JAMVA 2019
- Szwec D, Gatineau M - Left surrenalectomy by laparoscopy in a Shiba Inu. Le Rapporteur, 2019 [In French]
- Job C, Gatineau M – Facial reconstructive surgery with the facial artery axial flap after tumor excision. Le Rapporteur, 2018 [In French]
- Leriquier C, Gatineau M – Advanced minimally invasive surgery. Le Rapporteur, 2017 [In French]
- Traverson M, Lussier B, Huneault L, Gatineau M – « Comparative outcomes of gradual vascular occlusion with an ameroid ring constrictor or cellophane banding for the surgical treatment of single congenital extrahepatic portosystemic shunts in 49 dogs (1998-2012) » Vet Surg 2018
- Scott J, Singh A; Mayhew PD, Case JB, Runge JJ, Gatineau M – « Perioperative outcome and complications following laparoscopic cholecystectomy in dogs: 20 cases (2008-2015) » Vet Surg 2016
- De Arburn Parent R, Benamou J, Gatineau M & all- « Cranial bone plating for the treatment of distal radius-ulna fractures in miniature and toy breed dogs: 102 cases (2008-2015) » JAVMA 2016
- Gatineau M – PRP : Platelet-rich plasma indication in small animal with muscular and orthopedic disorders. Le Rapporteur, December-January 2015-2016 [In French]
- Nazarali A, Singh A, Moens NM, Gatineau M & all. « Association between methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius carriage and the development of surgical site infections following tibial plateau leveling osteotomy in dogs. » JAVMA October 2015
- Cabon Q, Planté J, Gatineau M – « Digital flexor tendon contracture treated by tenectomy: different clinical presentations in three cats. » Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, July 2015
- Gatineau M - Pelvic fractures : conservative vs surgical treatment. Le Rapporteur, February-March 2014 [In French]
- Bénamou M, Gatineau M - Atypical cause of lameness : Avulsion of the digital long extensor tendon in a dog. Le Rapporteur, December 2013-January 2014 [In French]
- Gatineau M - Juvenile pubic symphysiodesis : preventive treatment for canine hip dysplasia. Le Rapporteur, June-July 2012 [In French]
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J - “Early detection of canine hip dysplasia by palpation, reduction angle and dorsal acetabular rim angle measurement” Le Rapporteur, February-March 2012 [In French]
- Gatineau M, El Warrak AO, Bollinger C, Mourez M, Berthiaume F –“Effects of sterilization with hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, ethylene oxide, and steam on bioadhesive properties of nylon and polyethylene lines used for stabilization of canine stifle joints” Am J Vet Res 2012 Oct;73:1665-9
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Beauregard G, Charette B, Breton L, Beauchamp G, d’Anjou MA - “Palpation and dorsal acetabular rim radiographic projection for early detection of canine hip dysplasia: long term results” Vet Surg 2012;41:42-53
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J, Moreau M - “Retrospective study of 476 cases of Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy, rate of subsequent “pivot shift”, meniscal tear and risk factors associated with complications” Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2011;2:333-341
- Gatineau M, Planté J - “Ulnar interlocking intramedullary nail stabilization of a proximal radio-ulnar fracture in a dog” Vet Surg 2010;39:1025-1029
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J - “Extensive longitudinal tear tendon concurrent with bilateral medial luxation of the superficial digital flexor muscle tendon in a dog” Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2010;4:23-27
- Gatineau M, Huneault L, Lussier B, Lefevre-Lavoie J - “Mechanical evaluation of hydrogen peroxyde gas plasma sterilization of nylon lines used for extra-articular stabilization of the canine stifle joint” Vet Surg 2010;39:48-53
- Gatineau M, Lussier B, Alexander K - “Ear canal follicular cyst in a dog” J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2010;46:107-114
- Gatineau M - Sliding humeral osteotomy : new treatment modality for canine elbow dysplasia. Le Rapporteur, February-March 2010 [In French]
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J - “Management of distal radius and ulna fractures in small- and miniature- breed dogs” Le Rapporteur, February-March 2009 [In French]
- Gatineau M, El Warrak AO, Manfra S, Kamiya D, Moreau M - “Locked jaw syndrome in dogs and cats : a review of 37 cases (1998-2005)” J Vet Dent 25(1);16-22,2008
- Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J, El Warrak AO - “Dynamic extra-articular stabilization of the canine stifle joint after cranial cruciate ligament rupture: TPLO and TTA, a review” Le Point Vétérinaire n° 290, November 2008 [In French]
- Valin I, Fau D, Bouvy B, Gatineau M - “ Coxofemoral dysplasia: pathogenesis and diagnostic” Le Point Vétérinaire n° 281, December 2007 [In French]
- Gatineau M, Béraud R - “Distal radius and ulna fractures in small- and miniature-breed dogs” Le Point Vétérinaire n° 280, November 2007 [In French]
Clinical sheet of Dr Matthieu Gatineau